Pre-registration is required. Classes that have not filled by 7 days prior to the start date are subject to cancellation.
All courses are offered at the CGA classroom in Toronto, Ontario.
Sophisticated Synthetics and Gemstone Enhancements
Bring your knowledge of the important gemstones up to date! Emeralds, sapphires, rubies and diamonds are valuable gems which are frequently enhanced, and for which many simulants and synthetic counterparts exist.
The primary focus of these workshops is on the nature and occurrence of inclusions within the various "sophisticated" synthetics, and the detection of new methods of enhancement. Participants will have a chance to practice the various techniques and tips provided for distinguishing natural gems from synthetics and for detecting enhancements using gemmological instruments.
There are no prerequisites for this workshop, however a gemmological background or trade experience would be an asset.
- Saturdays, 10 am to 3 pm
- Fee: $125.00 per session
Canadian Diamond Grading Course
An intensive, hands-on course which will provide knowledge and skill in the grading of colourless, round brilliant cut diamonds. Please note: this course focuses on the diamond grading process, not the identification of diamond and/or its simulants. All necessary major equipment is provided, but students should bring their own pocket instruments (which are available at reasonable cost on-site). Required course textbook may purchased separately. Class size is limited to a maximum of 8 students.
None. For individuals without any gemmological or trade background it is highly recommended that they first take the Talking Diamonds and Diamond and Diamond Imitation course.
- diamonds: their formation and physical properties
- instrumentation for grading
- packaging/handling of loose diamonds
- colour grading
- cut (make) grading
- weighing diamonds; including nomenclature, and tolerances
- estimation of weight from dimensions
- grading of single cut melee
- influence of colour, clarity, cut and weight on pricing.
- Fee: $945.00 (textbook is an additional $125.00); limited enrollment
- Winter Course: January 29- February 2, 2018 hours 9 am to 5 pm
Master Valuer Jewellery Appraisal Program
The CGA is proud to announce that The Master Valuer Jewellery Appraisal Course is now being offered in Toronto. This 90 hour in class program is currently being offered over seven weekends. The Master Valuer Course is a comprehensive appraisal course which includes learning the approved methodology for writing professional appraisals of all types including insurance, estate, donation and probate. Course begins August 6 and finishes November 13, 2016 Please see our events calendar to view the weekends for this course.
The Master Valuer designation is recognized by the Canadian Jewelers Association as fulfilling their appraisal educational requirements to enable their members to be awarded the Accredited Appraiser (AAP) designation.
- a recognized gemmological credential (e.g., FCGmA, FGA, FGAA, GG, etc.) or currently be enrolled in a gemmological program.
Fee: $5400 (2 text books are additional cost). liimited enrollment, 90 hours total
- Saturdays and Sundays 9:30 am to 5 pm, 7 weekends scheduled over 14 week
- Next Weekend Session - Feb. 10-11, 2018, Feb 24-25, 2018. March 10-11, 2018, Mar 24-25, 2018, Apr 7-8, 2018, April 21-22, 2018, May 5-6, 2018
- Evening only--Wednesday evening (when no monthly meeting) 6-9 pm over 30 weeks NEW
- Next session : September 6, 2017 ending June 13, 2018
- Accelerated program 3 weeks of 30 hours per week. NEW
- Next session: July 17, 2017 until August 4, 2017
Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation
This three-day workshop will benefit gem trade professionals, gemmology students and enthusiasts alike.
Students will learn the skills to accurately grade and value coloured gemstones. Emphasis on hands-on practice with a variety of gems of different quality will provide students with the knowledge to become confident buyers and sellers in the rapidly growing coloured stone market.
- Colour basics
- Munsell colour system
- Gem Dialogue colour description system
- GIA grading system
- Correct grading practice
- Valuation principles
- Impact of treatment on value
- The gem quality curve
- Marketplace pricing factors
- The Guide wholesale pricing index
Instructor: Helmut Koenig
Course fee: $595 including taxes.
Next session: August 11 - 13, 2017
Pre-Exam Lab Course
An optional 5-day Pre-Examination Lab Course is offered in Toronto prior to each examination session, based on demand. This lab session in gem identification and instrument use is primarily intended for CGA registered students who wish extra practice in preparation for the professional-level practical examination, but other qualified individuals may be accepted.
The focus of the week is to give students as many gemstones as possible for viewing and identification, to become comfortable with the instruments and to devote extra time and support to areas of weak understanding. A qualified gemmologist with teaching experience will supervise.
5-days, 9:00 am - 4:00 pmNext Session:
January 8 -12, 2018
CGA student $675.00/non-student $845.00
Registration forms may be downloaded from the Short Courses section of the Course Forms
The professional development classes described on this page do not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.