Pre-registration is required. Classes that have not filled by 7 days prior to the start date are subject to cancellation. All courses are offered at the CGA classroom in Toronto, Ontario.
Current Course Offerings
|PDG||Canadian Diamond Grading Course||5 days||$1,895.00|
|VCC-2130||Canadian Diamond Grading Course||5 days||$2,122.00|
|JAP||Master Valuer Program||90 Hours||$5,400.00|
|VCC-3101||Master Valuer Jewellery Appraisal Program||90 Hours||$5,800.00|
|CGV||Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation||1 days||$282.50|
|PEL||Practical Gemmology Lab Course||5 days||$1,945.00|
Current Class Dates
February 8-12, 2021 – Toronto – New Dates
July 12 – 16, 2021 – Toronto
TBA – Vancouver
Master Valuer Program
February 20, 2021 – May 23, 2021 – Weekend Master Valuer Program – Toronto
September 25, 2021 – December 12, 2021 – Weekend Master Valuer Program – Toronto
TBA – Evening Master Valuer Program – one evening a week – Toronto
TBA – Evening Master Valuer Program – one evening a week – Vancouver
July 19, 2021 – August 6, 2021 – Accelerated Master Valuer Program – 3 weeks – Toronto
TBA – Accelerated Master Valuer Program – 3 weeks – Vancouver
2021 – Master Valuer 3 Day Workshop – Toronto
TBA – Master Valuer 3 Day Workshop – Vancouver
Coloured Stone Grading and Valuation
January 29, 2021 – Cancelled – New Date TBD
Practical Gemmology Lab Course
Canadian Diamond Grading Course
An intensive, hands-on course which will provide knowledge and skill in the grading of colourless, round brilliant cut diamonds. Please note: this course focuses on the diamond grading process, not the identification of diamond and/or its simulants. All necessary major equipment is provided, but students should bring their own pocket instruments (which are available at reasonable cost on-site). Required course textbook may purchased separately. Class size is limited to a maximum of 8 students.
- None. For individuals without any gemmological or trade background it is highly recommended that they first take the Talking Diamonds and Diamond and Diamond Imitation course.
- diamonds: their formation and physical properties
- instrumentation for grading
- packaging/handling of loose diamonds
- colour grading
- cut (make) grading
- weighing diamonds; including nomenclature, and tolerances
- estimation of weight from dimensions
- grading of single cut melee
- influence of colour, clarity, cut and weight on pricing.
- Fee: $1,895.00 (textbook is an additional $350.00 & Table Gauge is an additional $49.30); limited enrollment
- February 8 – 12, 2021 – Toronto – New Dates
- July 12 – 16, 2021 – Toronto
- TBA – Vancouver
For more information on dates and pricing on the Vancouver Community College Diamond Grading Program, please click on the following link for details.
Master Valuer Appraisal Program
The CGA is proud to announce that The Master Valuer Jewellery Appraisal Course is now being offered in Toronto. This 90 hour in class program is is a comprehensive appraisal course which includes learning the approved methodology for writing professional appraisals of all types including insurance, estate, donation and probate. Course is taught in 3 different formats. Please look at calendar for dates of the next session.
The Master Valuer designation is recognized by the Canadian Jewelers Association as fulfilling their appraisal educational requirements to enable their members to be awarded the Accredited Appraiser (AAP) designation.
- a recognized gemmological credential (e.g., FCGmA, FGA, FGAA, GG, etc.) or currently be enrolled in a gemmological program.
Fee: $5400 (2 text books are additional cost). limited enrollment, 90 hours total.
- Two days a week 9:30 am to 5 pm for 7 sessions, scheduled over a 7- 14 week period depending on availability of classroom
- Next Weekend Sessions – February 20-21, March 6-7, 20-21, April 17-18, 24-25, May 15-16 and May 22-23, 2021
- Next Weekend Sessions – September 25-26, October 2-3, 16-17, November 6-7, 20-21, December 4-5 and December 11-12, 2021
- Evening only–Wednesday evening (when no monthly meeting) 6-9 pm over 30 weeks
- Next session : TBA
- Accelerated program 3 weeks of 30 hours per week.
- Toronto: July 19, 2021 – August 6, 2021
- Vancouver: TBA
For more information on dates and pricing on the Vancouver Community College Master Valuer Program, please click on the following link for details.
Master Valuer 3 day Workshop New
This course is open to to Distance Education students of the Master Valuer program. In order to complete your course you must complete a hands on practical component. In 3 days you will get experience in preparing the documents needed for completing an appraisal and have the chance to discuss with a qualified instructor different methods of approaching appraisals. Creating documents for jewellery in class is a major part of the class.
Next session: 2021 – Toronto
Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation
This one-day workshop will benefit gem trade professionals, gemmology students and enthusiasts alike.
Students will learn the skills to accurately grade and value coloured gemstones. Emphasis on hands-on practice with a variety of gems of different quality will provide students with the knowledge to become confident buyers and sellers in the rapidly growing coloured stone market.
- Colour basics
- Munsell colour system
- World of Colour, colour communication and grading system
- Correct grading practice
- Valuation principles
- Impact of treatment on value
- The gem quality curve
- Marketplace pricing factors
- The Guide wholesale pricing index
Instructor: Helmut Koenig
Course fee: $282.50 including taxes.
Note: The Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation Course is owned and offered by Helmut Koenig. Potential students should contact Mr. Koenig at 416-317-2480 or Colouredstonegrading@gmail.com for more information or to register for this 1 day course.
Next session(s): January 29, 2021 – Cancelled – New Date TBD
Practical Gemmology Lab Course
The Practical Gemmology Lab is a 5 day course suitable for a graduate gemmologist who wants to refresh their skills or a gemmology student wanting additional practical experience prior to their exam or an individual who has completed the CGA Gem Appreciation and Intro to Gem Identification courses and wishes to further their knowledge.
The Practical Gemmology Lab course will allow participants to become more proficient with the instruments used in gemmology and will ensure they can use the equipment safely and correctly. We practice the same procedures and identification skills used by gemmoloigists in the profession. Tools used include a microscope, a refractometer with RI fluid, a polariscope with a conoscope, a dichroscope, a table model prism spectroscope, a handheld spectroscope and a loupe.
Participants will receive a Statement of Completion
- Observations using the 10× loupe and microscope and the various lighting techniques for looking at gem materials
- Review of gemmological instruments and their construction and use.
- Correct use of the refractometer for faceted materials and the interpretation of results
- Use of the handheld spectroscope and how to record and interpret results.
- Utilisation of supporting tools such as the polariscope, dichroscope, Chelsea Colour Filter and UV light
- The theory and practice of hydrostatic specific gravity
Students use these instruments to practice identifying natural and laboratory-grown gemstones, imitations and assembled stones
- 10x Triplet Jeweller’s Loupe (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
- Gemmological Tweezers (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
- Chelsea Colour Filter (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
- Conoscope (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
- London Dichroscope (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
- Hand Spectroscope (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
The CGA also recommends the text book Gem-A Practical Gemmology Handbook (students may bring their own or purchase from the CGA)
Schedule: 5-days, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Next Session: TBA
Fees: $1,895.00 + $50.00 non-refundable materials fee = $1,945.00
Registration forms may be downloaded from the Short Courses section of the Course Forms page.
The professional development classes described on this page do not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.