Pre-registration is required. Classes that have not filled by 7 days prior to the start date are subject to cancellation. All courses are offered at the CGA classroom in Toronto, Ontario.
Current Course Offerings
|PDG||Canadian Diamond Grading Course||5 days||$1,895.00|
|VCC-2130||Canadian Diamond Grading Course||5 days||$2,079.60|
|JAP||Master Valuer Program||90 Hours||$5,400|
|VCC-3101||Master Valuer Jewellery Appraisal Program||90 Hours||$5,685.58|
|CGV||Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation||1 days||$282.50|
|PEL||Pre-exam Lab||5 days||$845/$675|
Current Class Dates
June 24 – June 28, 2019 – Toronto
May 13 – May 17, 2019 – Vancouver
Master Valuer Program
August 24 – November 17, 2019 – Weekend Master Valuer Program – Toronto
TBA – Evening Master Valuer Program – one evening a week – Toronto
TBA – Evening Master Valuer Program – one evening a week – Vancouver
July 22 – August 9, 2019- Accelerated Master Valuer Program – 3 weeks – Toronto
May 21 – June 5, 2019 – Accelerated Master Valuer Program – 3 weeks – Vancouver
July 12 – July 14, 2019 – Master Valuer 3 Day Workshop – Toronto
TBA – Master Valuer 3 Day Workshop – Vancouver
Coloured Stone Grading and Valuation
Canadian Diamond Grading Course
An intensive, hands-on course which will provide knowledge and skill in the grading of colourless, round brilliant cut diamonds. Please note: this course focuses on the diamond grading process, not the identification of diamond and/or its simulants. All necessary major equipment is provided, but students should bring their own pocket instruments (which are available at reasonable cost on-site). Required course textbook may purchased separately. Class size is limited to a maximum of 8 students.
- None. For individuals without any gemmological or trade background it is highly recommended that they first take the Talking Diamonds and Diamond and Diamond Imitation course.
- diamonds: their formation and physical properties
- instrumentation for grading
- packaging/handling of loose diamonds
- colour grading
- cut (make) grading
- weighing diamonds; including nomenclature, and tolerances
- estimation of weight from dimensions
- grading of single cut melee
- influence of colour, clarity, cut and weight on pricing.
- Fee: $1,895.00 (textbook is an additional $125.00 & Table Gauge is an additional $35.00); limited enrollment
- June 24 – 28, 2019 – Toronto
- May 13 – 17, 2019 – Vancouver
For more information on dates and pricing on the Vancouver Community College Diamond Grading Program, please click on the following link for details.
Master Valuer Appraisal Program
The CGA is proud to announce that The Master Valuer Jewellery Appraisal Course is now being offered in Toronto. This 90 hour in class program is is a comprehensive appraisal course which includes learning the approved methodology for writing professional appraisals of all types including insurance, estate, donation and probate. Course is taught in 3 different formats. Please look at calendar for dates of the next session.
The Master Valuer designation is recognized by the Canadian Jewelers Association as fulfilling their appraisal educational requirements to enable their members to be awarded the Accredited Appraiser (AAP) designation.
- a recognized gemmological credential (e.g., FCGmA, FGA, FGAA, GG, etc.) or currently be enrolled in a gemmological program.
Fee: $5400 (2 text books are additional cost). limited enrollment, 90 hours total.
- Two days a week 9:30 am to 5 pm for 7 sessions, scheduled over a 7- 14 week period depending on availability of classroom
- Next Weekend Session – August 24, 25, September 7, 8, 14, 15, October 5, 6, 19, 20, November 2, 3, 16, 17, 2019
- Evening only–Wednesday evening (when no monthly meeting) 6-9 pm over 30 weeks
- Next session : TBA
- Accelerated program 3 weeks of 30 hours per week.
- Next session: July 22 – August 9, 2019
- Vancouver: May 21, 2019 – June 5, 2019
For more information on dates and pricing on the Vancouver Community College Master Valuer Program, please click on the following link for details.
Master Valuer 3 day Workshop New
This course is open to to Distance Education students of the Master Valuer program. In order to complete your course you must complete a hands on practical component. In 3 days you will get experience in preparing the documents needed for completing an appraisal and have the chance to discuss with a qualified instructor different methods of approaching appraisals. Creating documents for jewellery in class is a major part of the class.
Next session: July 12 – July 14, 2019 – Toronto
Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation
This one-day workshop will benefit gem trade professionals, gemmology students and enthusiasts alike.
Students will learn the skills to accurately grade and value coloured gemstones. Emphasis on hands-on practice with a variety of gems of different quality will provide students with the knowledge to become confident buyers and sellers in the rapidly growing coloured stone market.
- Colour basics
- Munsell colour system
- World of Colour, colour communication and grading system
- Correct grading practice
- Valuation principles
- Impact of treatment on value
- The gem quality curve
- Marketplace pricing factors
- The Guide wholesale pricing index
Instructor: Helmut Koenig
Course fee: $282.50 including taxes.
Note: The Coloured Gemstone Grading and Valuation Course is owned and offered by Helmut Koenig. Potential students should contact Mr. Koenig at 416-317-2480 or Colouredstonegrading@gmail.com for more information or to register for this 1 day course.
Next session: TBA
Pre-Exam Lab Course
An optional 5-day Pre-Examination Lab Course is offered in Toronto prior to each examination session, based on demand. This lab session in gem identification and instrument use is primarily intended for CGA registered students who wish extra practice in preparation for the professional-level practical examination, but other qualified individuals may be accepted.
The focus of the week is to give students as many gemstones as possible for viewing and identification, to become comfortable with the instruments and to devote extra time and support to areas of weak understanding. A qualified gemmologist with teaching experience will supervise.
Schedule: 5-days, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Next Session: TBA
Fees: CGA student $675.00/non-student $845.00
Registration forms may be downloaded from the Short Courses section of the Course Forms page.
The professional development classes described on this page do not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.