The Canadian Gemmological Association provides a focal point for gemmologists, gem lovers and trade participants in Canada, a means to encourage discussion, enhanced appreciation, skills upgrading and promotion of the sector. Members of the Canadian Gemmological Association come from all walks of life, and share an enduring passion for gems. We invite you to join us!
Fellows of the Canadian Gemmological Association have earned their status by demonstrating proficiency on a set of standardized professional examinations, and have been accepted as Fellows by the CGA Board of Directors. Fellows renew membership annually to maintain the right to display FCGmA credentials, and to demonstrate their mastery of gemmology and their ongoing involvement in the field.
Associate members have earned credentials similar to the FCGmA through peer organizations around the world. They are welcomed to join the CGA and are granted voting rights. The following credentials are recognized:
- FGA – Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (Gem-A)
- FGAA – Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Australia
- GG-GIA – Graduate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America
- CG-AGS – Certified Gemmologist, American Gem Society
- FGG – Deutsche Gemmologische Gesellschaft
- AG-AIGS – Asian Institute of Gemological Sciences
General membership is open to individuals without gemmological credentials who have a sincere interest in gemmology and are eager to learn more and participate in the sector. Any private person may apply. We welcome new members.
Benefits of Membership
- Monthly meetings in Toronto featuring guest speakers
10% discount on books and instruments
- 10% discount on General Interest courses
- reduced rates at the annual CGA gem conference and other special events
- News updates via email
- Notifications about job postings
- Member Search – listing in the CGA online member database available for public search
- Preferred group rates on home and auto insurance through Allstate
- the opportunity to practice gem identification as a volunteer at local shows
- Networking & participation in the gemmological community
- Office supplies benefit – savings with blue ocean office supplies & solutions, 519.994.2799
- Special occasion benefits as they come available
Verification of Credentials
Our publicly available search tool at the top right of this page provides a means by which to check whether an individual has obtained gemmological credentials (FCGmA) through the CGA and has maintained this status through the current year. Enter the last name, search, and then select the name of interest from the list of search results. The classification of any up-to-date member will be shown, whether qualified gemmologist (FCGmA or Associate), general member or student.
CGA Membership Applications & Renewals
Membership Fee: $150 annually
Period: January 1 – December 31
Deadline: January 31
Renewals may done through the CGA’s online store on this website.
A membership application form may be downloaded by clicking on the image to the left (fillable form). You may take a photo of the application and send it back in, you may fax it in to the number on the renewal form or you may mail it in to the address on the renewal form.
Please note if you pay your Membership by cheque and your cheque is returned as NSF, you will incur a $50.00 NSF fee.